Friday, June 21, 2013

nobody else gets it

It's probably not a good sign that I have been absent here for nearly a month, but (and here I'm about to do something I hate seeing other bloggers do) - I have good reasons!

I have spent the last month furiously prepping for our biggest event of the year which came off with only a few minor hitches last week. To paint the picture a little more clearly - the week of the event I worked nearly 85 hours. Needless to say, my brain wasn't quite capable of reading anything other than an avalanche of email over the past few weeks.

But it's behind me, I've got some big changes coming "in real life", and I'm finally reading again.


I impulse bought The Presidents Club by Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy a few months ago and have finally had the time to dive in. If you know me for even about five minutes, you'll discover that I'm a huge huge huge presidential history nerd. The only thing I collect is biographies of Presidents.

I know. Stay my friends, okay?

The Presidents Club is comprised of every currently living US President. The book starts out with history on how it came to be, but focuses mostly on the "modern" club (Truman forward). I'm not going to inundate you all with historical trivia (no matter how tempted I may be), but I did want to pause on the entire premise of the club itself.

There are seasons and circumstances in life where we have all found ourselves shaking our heads and muttering, "Nobody else gets it. I am alone in this." One of the tiny pieces of adult wisdom I've managed to let sink in over the years is that this is a lie. Most of human experience can be shared and related to, at least to some degree. That said, there are times when you just desperately need someone to "get" the particulars. To get the stress. To get the fears. To get the joy. Finding those people is something most of us spend a lot of effort on.

I have a few different friends who fill that role for me in different capacities. Girls who share my beliefs and also went to law school. Guys who have had similar upbringings and family lives. Currently I meet with a small group of ladies who are all in ministry in some context.* They "get it" better than a lot of other people right now. I couldn't do life without these folks.

I call them my cabinet. They help me make important decisions, weighing in on their areas of expertise. I told you I was a poli sci nerd.

*I connected with them through an org called Leading & Loving It for pastor's wives and women in ministry. It's an amazing resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use your words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...