Tuesday, July 9, 2013

OneWord2013



I went back to my old blog for a moment to pull the post where I introduced my "one word" for 2013. It didn't take me long to discover that I never actually wrote one! My friend Alece started shepherding this OneWord project a few years ago, and last year I joined in for the first time. The concept is pretty simple: you choose a word to be your theme for the year, in lieu of a laundry list of resolutions. In 2012 my word was "pluck" and let me tell you - I definitely learned what it meant to display "resourceful courage in the face of difficulties" over the course of my first year in Nashville.

It took me some time to settle on what I felt like 2013 should be about. Have you ever heard that you shouldn't ask for patience (for example) unless you are willing to be put in situations requiring you to display patience? That was on my mind as I thought about what I was willing to learn this year.

Finally, I couldn't ignore the word that kept playing on repeat in my mind as 2012 came to a close:

ROOTED

The most difficult question I'm asked is "Where are you from?" The idea of place is really important to me, but I have never really been able to put down roots in a place long enough to think of it as mine. I'm 27 years old and I have lived in 5 states and 1 foreign country since I turned 18. As Year 1 drew to an end in Nashville, I knew that I was meant to stay here. And that would require commitment. Roots. Two things that are incredibly difficult for me. It's not that I don't want to have deep roots, it's that I shrink from the thought of someday having to uproot myself (again). That hurts.

In the end, it was reading Jeremiah 17:7-8 that sealed this choice for me:
Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord and whose trust is the Lord. For he will be like a tree planted by the water, that extends its roots by a stream and will not fear when the heat comes; but its leaves will be green and it will not be anxious in a year of drought nor cease to yield fruit.
I want my life to look like that. Unwavering, steadfast. That kind of security comes from the roots up, which meant that this year I was going to have to pay special attention to my roots.

This was intended to be a mid-year progress report, but it's hard to report progress when you never shared the journey in the first place. So today I'll just share my word with you, and in the next couple of posts I'll share some of the highlights on this journey the past few months.

Have you chosen a word for your year? I'd love to hear it!

3 comments:

  1. I really love you word and I think you sticking great roots into the ground of Nashville. You seem really at home there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't intentionally chosen a word for a year, but if I did, it would be gumption. The amount of changes I have made this year have required courage, bravery, and gumption.

    I love your word for this year. I can see how it is scary to put down roots out of fear that you may need to dig them up again and start over. I am not putting down roots right now for that very reason because I pretty much KNOW I will not be staying in this area, and it is definitely a different approach to living for me as in the past I have lived in cities for many years and put down solid roots and built a community. I think it's the right decision for me to sort of 'live on the surface' here in Charlotte, but it's definitely a new experience for me.

    ReplyDelete

Use your words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...