Thursday, July 11, 2013

the most important and least recognized need of the human soul

To be rooted, that is. At least according to Simone Weil.

Last week my friend Tracee was encouraging folks to do their mid-year check-in on their OneWord365. She was the impetus for my taking time to share what being rooted means to me. Well, Tracee and Ken Jennings (of all people).

I've been reading Maphead this week and the closing quote from Chapter 3 was the real kickstarter to this whole week of actually writing on this blog.

To be rooted...is perhaps the most important and the least recognized need of the human soul.
That quote comes from Simone Weil's book L'Enracinement, prélude à une déclaration des devoirs envers l'être humain (The Need for Roots: prelude towards a declaration of duties toward mankind in English). Let's just say that I'm going to be going on a desperate search for this book (preferably in French) as soon as the publish button is hit on this post.

I've written already that initially my thoughts about rootedness revolved around stability. A sense of permanence here in Nashville that I haven't had, in a full sense, in my adult life. Shortly after choosing "rooted" as my word for this year, I expanded my notion of what it meant after meeting an amazing woman in California.

Most recently, I've been reminded that as roots grow, they need to be transplanted. If you keep a growing plant in its tiny, original pot it won't thrive. You have to pull the roots up and out before repotting them in a new place where they can continue to grow. So my tendency to fear and prevent uprooting might not always be in my best interest.

The Mediterranean, as seen from Monte Carlo, Monaco.
2008::my grandest transplant ever.

Needless to say this year has turned out to be a lot more thought provoking than I initially expected it to be. And that's not a bad thing.

Where do you stand halfway through 2013? Are you where you wanted to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use your words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...