Saturday, August 24, 2013

Why I've Been Absent

3 weeks ago I did an incredibly reckless thing: I walked down the stairs in my house, lights on and my hand firmly grasping the banister.

As you can see, that's a recipe for disaster.

Out of nowhere, the world was upside down and I was falling head over heels down the stairs. I thankfully caught myself before reaching the hardwood floor at the bottom but knew immediately this wasn't just a scare. My left ankle was swollen to the size of a tennis ball.

I am not a crier. Okay, that's a lie. I'm sentimental and books & movies make me cry. But real tears? When I'm hurt or scared? Nearly never. I laid on those stairs and sobbed. I couldn't stop and to this day I can't remember when I've ever cried that hard.

Friends, adrenaline is a powerful thing. I managed to hobble from the staircase to the kitchen, kennel my roommate's dog, grab some frozen vegetables, and make my way back to the living room couch. When I laid down and elevated my foot, reality set in along with her best friend, panic. I have never had any kind of injury or illness that required medical treatment in my life. Currently without insurance, this was naturally the best possible time to break a 27 year streak.

I fell around 9:30pm and let me say - that was the longest night of my life. I didn't have an ace bandage, pain relievers, or crutches in the house. I'm a side or stomach sleeper and trying to lay flat on my back on the couch, with my ankle elevated above my heart and without jostling it...that didn't make for a restful night's sleep.

I'm probably going to write a few posts about this journey, just to help me process. And maybe to be of some help to someone else googling around the internet with their own broken ankle questions.


Day 1 - RICE. Frozen veggies for ice and a dish towel secured with bobby pins acting as a makeshift ace bandage. 


Day 2 - Urgent Care trip. Came home with crutches, diagnosis of a likely break, and a purple Barney splint.

Day 3 - Referred to a sports medicine orthopedist. Break confirmed, but no surgery needed. Inflatable boot it is!

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you were able to get it taken care of, but goodness, what an ordeal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, that sucks that you are going through all of this when you don't have insurance. I know how expensive medical care is for an injury like this. I hope it heels fast and you are good as new soon. But this royally, royally sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! It's crazy how those things can happen when we're not even doing anything. I hope you heal up quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that sounds awful! Hope you heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Use your words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...