Thursday, September 5, 2013

If you find my focus...

...please ship it back to Nashville. Thanks.

I've been working out some thoughts about how the past 5 weeks have done a number on me mentally, but as of right now we're going on 16 days of thinking/writing and sitting at about one paragraph.

So until I can put my finger back on that, I'll use my reading taste to paint the picture. The only book I've been able to read?

At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks.

Look, I'm not going to knock on Mr. Sparks if you love him (as long as you read other things too). In fact, up until a few years ago I possessed quite a few of his books. It started in 10th grade with A Walk to Remember, the book that made our entire Language Arts class cry. But when I had to downsize my library a couple years ago to move here, they didn't make the cut.

Every time I read one of his books I feel like I've allowed myself to be emotionally manipulated. I know it's coming. It just is. He could not write a book and not punch us in the heart.

But I bought this at a vulnerable moment at the start of the summer. At the grocery store. Alongside a pint of ice cream.

Ice cream for my tummy and ice cream for my brain.

What was the last book you read that falls into the "ice cream" category?

4 comments:

  1. I had a tough time focusing on books in August because of all the stuff going on in my life, so I can relate. I pushed through and read 4 books, but with the exception of 1, they all were kind of 'meh' to me.

    Nicholas Sparks definitely falls into the 'ice cream' category for me, as do books by Sarah Dessen. Although I do think he characters have great depth, especially for the YA genre, but they usually have fairly tidy endings so fall under ice cream.

    Hope your focus returns soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, gosh, i am "eating" an "ice cream" too. *eyeroll* actually, i am listening to one, Charles Martin's Thunder and Rain. So annoying, but I'm pushing through because it's my first audio book and also because I don.t like to leave things unfinished.

    if your focus arrives safely to Nashville, pack & ship some to me as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i refuse to read his stuff. i'm a sad person by nature, i don't need his help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny. The last ice cream book I read was also Nicholas Sparks: Safe Haven.

    ReplyDelete

Use your words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...