Wednesday, October 2, 2013

sometimes progress happens without you

Earlier this Last week I introduced my 101 in 1,001 project. This year has been far from easy and I found myself completely wrapped up in just making it through, which resulted in 7 months of total neglect to this project.

Even with total neglect, progress is sometimes inevitable. I did manage to accomplish a few things unintentionally.


Last updated: October 2, 2013
Key: In Progress Completed

{home}
(07) Every 6 months, donate clothes that haven't been worn {3/5}
This is my way of keeping my closet under control. I'm not a clothes fiend by any means, but doing this seasonally helps me make sure I'm not just holding onto things that have either
a) outlived their usefulness or b) stopped being interesting to me. I'll do this again in January and at the end of the project in June.

{inspiration}
(11) Compile a list of my favorite inspiring quotes
I'm always keeping track of quotes I like. I used to have a page of them on my blog, but I don't think I'll do that here. I might share a few from time to time though!

(14) Have a twice-a-month coffee shop date with myself {34/84}
This is an easy one for me, although I'll admit that for the past couple of months my "coffee shop" has been the couch or the kitchen table since I wasn't able to get out and about. This really means that twice a month I need intentional coffee and reading/writing time. Without a friend, because while that's fun - it's not the same.

(19) Attend the theater DONE 09.07.13
I totally think that Shakespeare in the Park counts as the "theater"


(24) Visit 5 museums {1/5}
In April a friend of mine was in town to run the Music City Half Marathon (that I chickened out of training for). One afternoon, our merry band went to the Tennessee State Museum to see the exhibit about the Emancipation Proclamation. We missed the original of that important document but we DID get to see the original copy of the 13th Amendment (which abolished slavery). #lawnerd #poliscinerd


{words}
(28) Read 75 new-to-me books {17/75}
I went back to the archives in my old blog and my old Goodreads to see if it was really true that I hadn't read any new books in their entirety between November 2012 and May 2013.
Yep. ::hangsheadinshame::

Between May and September, I read 5 new books. All fiction. The only one I haven't mentioned on the blog was Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, which I read for a book club I never actually attended (whoops).

(29) Read the entire Bible {11/66}
My community group read Song of Solomon together and I read 1 John for a new Bible study that I wasn't able to actually attend (sensing a theme?)

(32) Read every book on my bookshelves {15}
So, this goal literally means every: both books I've bought and not read and books I've read and am re-reading. For organizational purposes, I'm counting books I've never read before under #28 and re-reads here.
Between July 2012 and September 2013 I read...2 books on my shelf.

This shot is all of the books I have purchased and never finished (or started). Lofty goal!

(33) Read a book of poems
Still "working" on Emily Dickinson

{on the map}
(42) Meet a blog/twitter friend DONE
Stephanie 9.13.13
I love that this goal has been blown out of the water. Stephanie and I had a mutual friend (Brittany) so when she was in town last month we got together for lunch and coffee. This was one of my first outings without crutches :)

(43) Attend a conference in a different state DONE 01.18.13
I totally forgot that I completed this! For work in January we took a group to a conference in Georgia. It was insane, but a fun time.

{community}
(47) Attend a community event every month {33/42}
One of my favorite goals, so much I put it on both lists! Musician's Corner is one of my favorite things about Nashville and I try to go at least once every season.

We went for Matt Wertz. Obviously. 

(48) Participate in ten acts of community service {7/10}
I'm going to be judicious and only count my week long service trip to the LA Dream Center once.

(51) Discover 40 new local restaurants {26/40}
Good grief. I'm pretty sure that the count on this is inaccurate, but since I stopped keeping track carefully I'm going to low ball and say that I went to 4 new places this spring/summer.
Of those, my favorite was Silly Goose.

{connections}
(57) Catch up with a friend each week {107/143}
I'm really thankful for friends who came to visit me at home over the past two months when it was really difficult to get out and about. Forcing everyone to come to you really does show you who wants to see you and who doesn't!

{body}
(67) Complete the Couch-to-5K program
Yeah. I've stopped and started this probably a dozen times in the past year or so. I think the farthest I got was week 5. I'm planning to resume this as soon as I can run again, but I'm still working on not walking like a baby deer at the moment.

{amusement}
(92) Discover 10 new (to me) musicians (4/10)
Okay, I'm sure I've definitely finished this but I didn't track it so I'm going to be fair.
Two "new" artists I'm loving lately are Ben Rector and Green River Ordinance (who I saw perform before Matt Wertz at Musician's Corner, see photo above)

(96) Watch The West Wing from start to finish DONE 7.01.13
I have all the seasons on DVD or iTunes, but thankyouNetflix for making this happen.
If you have never seen The West Wing you need to reevaluate your priorities.

(98) Do something spontaneous DONE 5.30.13
I've gone round and round on how or when or if to say anything about this on the blog but hey.
Why not just rip the bandaid off?
My "spontaneous" act was that I quit my job at the end of May (and left at the end of June). It wasn't spontaneous in the sense I did it on a whim (FAR FAR FROM IT). But it was more that I reached the point of just needing to do it. I didn't have a job lined up (although I thought I had a good lead at the time) and have been freelancing and searching ever since. This is what all the "rough year" stuff is about. I'm still processing it all, it hasn't been easy by any means. There was no joy in leaving, only relief that I knew I was making the right decision for me. I may at some point say more about it, but I haven't figured out how yet.


(101) Document the completion/progress of each goal
Hey. That's what this blog is for!


Stats
Completed: 24 (23.76%)
In Progress: 21

5 comments:

  1. I feel that way too, any time I read I'm like heyyy another thing off the 101 list! Progress is progress. I've never seen the West Wing, don't hate me. It's on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great list! Love the do something spontaneous one :)

    Megan
    Hello Newlywed Life Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had a friend recommend 'gone girl' - did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been doing a great job.

    Good luck getting things figured out on the job front. I'm sure something awesome is coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you're blogging your 101 list again! I feel like yours was the first one I remember seeing, and is what inspired me to start my own. And while I know there's no way I'm going to complete everything on, even with a ton of time left still, it's been a lot of fun trying!

    ReplyDelete

Use your words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...