Wednesday, October 30, 2013

What I'm Into :: October 2013



On the Page
The Storyteller: this was the last book in my broken ankle fiction binge. I put it off until last because I thought it was going to be one that gutted me emotionally since it's about the Holocaust. It's definitely not a beach read, but it was much better than I thought it would be and a completely unique way of writing a Holocaust novel.



Discerning the Voice of God: I said months ago that I picked up this book because I did the DVD study with my small group back in 2011. We only watched the videos without using the workbook, so I didn't have the content written down anywhere. The book was fantastic and one I think I'll keep coming back to in the future. I'll probably have a little deeper post about it in coming weeks. Speaking of Priscilla Shirer, I have a treat coming for you guys next month!

Currently Reading: An Army at Dawn (Rick Atkinson), The Gospel of Yes (Mike Glenn)

On the Small Screen
A friend of mine admitted this weekend that she had never seen any of the Harry Potter movies so I obviously have to remedy that. We just finished The Order of the Phoenix and I'm already a little sad that it's nearly over. Again.


On Netflix: I've been indulging in a full series binge of Law & Order. I watched all the available seasons of SVU between Netflix & Hulu+ so now I'm back to the original. I always get a kick out of when something from my law school criminal procedure classes pops up.

On Hulu+: I'm currently catching up on The Voice and Once Upon a Time and indulging my favorite show of all time by watching old seasons of The Amazing Race. Wanderlust, anyone?

On the Web
I went on a huge blog-subscribing spree last month and now I'm in the process of culling through them. Here are a few of the most recent posts I "saved for later":
- Four Simple Goals (Kristen Schiffman) :: Kristen and I have been friends online for oh...four years? Wow. Anyway, I love this concept and it's one I'm going to think about for the rest of this year, which is flying by. 
- 31 Days of Great Non-Fiction: The Girls of Atomic City (The Deliberate Reader) :: I've loved Sheila's 31 Days series since you all know my feelings about non-fiction! I chose to feature this, because I'm so curious about Oak Ridge and learning more about that chapter of history now that I call Tennessee home. 
- What Keeps Women from Showing Up? (Modern Mrs. Darcy) :: I loved the conversation started by this post from Anne about the lack of female speakers at the Story Conference. Instead of being an issue of being asked to participate, it turns out that the women asked, did not participate. Great thoughts in the comments.
On my iPhone

Has anybody else succumbed to the bane that is Candy Crush? I've been playing for months, but took a break for awhile because I can't pass level 208. I still can't pass it, but I surely never will if I don't play every now and then. Sigh.

I was house/cat-sitting for a friend earlier this month and this is probably my favorite Instagram from that week. Poor kitten clearly didn't want me to leave!


On the "Radio"
I have been loving the Ben Rector Pandora station lately. It just hasn't disappointed yet. I have my eyeballs on the new Dave Barnes Christmas album but I'm not sure how that will correspond with my new commitment to spend nothing in order to aggressively pay off some debt. What music are you loving these days?

On My Calendar
Life without a job/income has led to some very boring months (hopefully that'll be changing soon!) but I did do a couple super fun (free!) things in October. A friend (owner of the cute kitty above) had free tickets to a Nashville Predators game and we watched them win from amazing seats. I never thought I'd move to the South and become a hockey fan, but I have! Welcome to Smashville :)


Another good friend recently bought her first home, so our community group gathered there Sunday night for pumpkin carving and a viewing of the original Ghostbusters. I realized when the pumpkin was put in my lap that I have never carved a pumpkin as an adult. What was an unprepared girl to do? Google a photo for inspiration and rip the guts out with my bare hands of course. I'm obviously a pro. (Owl submitted for proof)


On This Blog
I'm working on coming up with some kind of "editorial calendar" so that long gaps don't happen as often as they have. That makes it sound so much more official than it really is.

Most Viewed Post :: The 25 Greatest Law Novels...Ever?

Most Conversation in the Comments :: Oh hey there

On My Mind
I've been giving a lot of thought to what's to come with my new job since it's entering a new field for me, one I've had a love for for ages, but wasn't sure if it was something I wanted to do for a living. I officially start tomorrow and am looking forward to seeing how I fit into this new role. It's new for all involved so I'm sure there will be a learning curve. Along with the new gig comes a new budget - a very very strict one. I've always been pretty good about sticking to a budget and not overspending, but I was never earning enough money - period. Now that I will be, I'm hoping to be extra vigilant and start working towards some ambitious goals.

What are you into right now?

Linking up for What I'm Into with the lovely Leigh!

5 comments:

  1. It looks like you're into some pretty great things right now. I love watching old Law and Order episodes!

    Good luck starting your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to hearing all about your new job! I hope it exceeds all expectations. I went to a Preds game a couple of years ago as they were playing the Blackhawks. There's a great contingency of Blackhawk fans in this town so I was right in my element. Hockey games are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is good to know that you enjoyed that Picoult book. A couple of people have said they liked it so I might have to check it out!

    Right now I am into coffee, spinning, enjoying the fall foliage in my area (the colors aren't as intense as the midwest but it's still pretty), and planning my Paris trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always happy to see a re-watch of the Harry Potter films. They're my go-to when I need a little bit of escape time/happiness, so its nice when a friend can come along for the fun!

    Blessings to you as you transition into a new job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really really enjoyed Storyteller. I thought it was so well done and so very Jodi. Definitely not an easy read, but a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Use your words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...