Tuesday, November 12, 2013

a day in the life :: November 11, 2013

I've been seeing these day in the life posts a lot recently and thought I'd join in. I've been at my job less than 2 weeks, so a lot of what I'm doing all day is just reading. I work at a non-profit dealing with higher ed, which is about as specific as I'll get.

5:29am :: alarm goes off and angels cry because this is FAR too early

I have been going to a community group (a Bible study) on Sunday nights for about a month now. These are people I met when I attended/worked at my old church. Even though I don't go there anymore, I like seeing them each week and talking through the book of Acts together. That said, we normally don't get done until 9:30 and when I tack on a 30 minute drive home...I am quite exhausted in the morning.

5:40am :: shower & get ready for the day. Try to find "business casual" wear in my closet after 2 years of freelancing (skinny jeans & chucks) prefaced by 3 years of law school (suits). Regret not picking my outfit out the night before, like my mom did for me in Kindergarten.

6:40am :: realize I need to get gas before heading to work and race out the door. Any later and I'll sit in traffic for an hour to drive 9 miles.

7:10am :: iPhone alarm goes off warning me that if I haven't left yet, I'll be late. Precaution for the mornings I may dawdle leaving the house. I am nearly to the freeway, so all is well.

7:35am :: arrive at work, completely bewildered at how I made it so quickly. [later in the day I'll realize it's Veteran's Day and that's why traffic was so light] Greeted by building security guard who learned my name the first day and always opens the door when he sees me coming and says with great cheer, "Good morning Amanda!" Get off elevator and see that someone has already made coffee. Hallelujah.

7:40am - 9:00am :: settle in at my desk and power through the emails that have accumulated since 12:30 Friday afternoon. This is the first job I've ever had where I am not expected to have my email synced to my phone and check it constantly. That will change later this year, but for now I'm grateful.

9:00am-11:30am :: play phone tag across 2 time zones to get some calls set up with college administrators. Finally get a conference call scheduled I've been trying to coordinate since my first day of work. Learn I will be joining the call (and another) later this week so try to catch myself up on what's on the agenda.

12-12:30pm :: take a shorter lunch than normal to "earn" my Friday early release. For the rest of the month we can leave at 12:30 on Friday if we make up the 3 hours elsewhere in the week. I've dedicated lunch as reading time (when I'm not out of the office) and I'm working on CS Lewis's The Screwtape Letters.

12:30-1pm :: get a call on a general line with a question regarding a program that was moved out of my portfolio before I came on board, so spend some time tracking down an answer that's respectful of Northern Ireland's visa requirements.

1-3:30pm :: in deep, deep spreadsheet tunnel vision. Craft many color-coded beauties to help me make sense of all the areas I'm responsible for. Begin to identify points in the system put in place by my predecessor that don't work with my organizational style.

3:30-4:30 :: work on winding down active projects for the day and look ahead to see what is on my calendar (and my boss's calendar) for tomorrow that needs to be prepped today. Call with staff accountant to go over some procedural things for department expense reports.

4:30pm :: leave "on time" for the first time since starting my job.

4:35-6:30pm :: walk down the block to Starbucks to kill time before Bible study. Work on to-do lists for the rest of this month, prep for Thanksgiving travel plans, draft out my Winter Bravery Bucket List, and start on a new professional 5 year plan. Remember I meant to write this post so snap a photo of my favorite feature of this Starbucks.


7:00-8:15pm :: head over to church for our women's Bible study on Daniel. This is my second week participating and the last official week of the study. Of course.

8:45pm :: home for the night. Visit with roommate and her friend before heading upstairs.

9:10pm :: finish up this post and pop in a Friends DVD while I wind down for the night. Learn my lesson and pick out my clothes for tomorrow.

via
9:45pm :: bed time for Grandma Amanda.


What did you do yesterday?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use your words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...