Wednesday, November 13, 2013

on my bookshelf

Anne over at Modern Mrs. Darcy is doing a little blog link-up today asking us all to share what our bookshelves look like.

If you follow me on Twitter you may have noticed that about 3 weeks ago we had a little catastrophe over here. I rearranged my room and my bookshelf literally fell over and split in half! The nerve!


I am not in a position to immediately replace it, but needed some kind of storage more than piles on the floor. So I decided to make do with the pieces.

Let's take a look!

Moving from left to right we have:

Top shelf: a stack of all my Bible study workbooks from the last couple of years; all of my journals from 2004-present (I'm re-reading them); some Bibles, The Federalist Papers, and a book of quotations.

Middle shelf back row (not in view): the books I've started but not finished over the past few months (i.e., next up on the to-read list); the only thing I collect - biographies/memoirs of American Presidents & First Ladies; fiction that I've already read.

Middle shelf front row (in view): currently reading or will be reading next (Brene Brown's works, American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House); Paris in Color; classics that didn't fit anyplace else & my French Bible.

Bottom shelf: more fiction, mostly series. Anne of Green Gables, some Lori Wick, and the Christy Miller & friends series (a favorite from high school).


The first shelf maintained its structural integrity in the fall. The second did not and is barely hanging on.

Top shelf: these books are stacked two rows deep. These are all the books I haven't read yet, stacked alphabetically by title. I know. It's a problem.

Bottom shelf: law school case books, reference books (French dictionaries); yearbooks from high school & college; and a couple binders of legal research.

I do have to confess that this isn't all. I have four boxes of books still in storage in California because they wouldn't fit in my car when I moved here.

What's on your bookshelf?

13 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm sorry about your fallen shelf, but it sounds like you are making the best of it. You have a fabulous collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what I would do if my shelf collapsed! But I really like what you've done with the situation!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually kind of love the repurposed bookcase! I can't believe you kept all your law school textbooks... do you ever look at them? I couldn't get rid of most of mine soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! You have Lori Wick books!! Those were some of my first favorite Christian novels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Lori Wick. That is so awesome. And bookshelf collapse, that just seems like something that would happen to me. Actually, I think it has, during a move. But it was only a small bookshelf. I can't imagine if our main book shelf collapsed. It would be a major disruption! But I guess that it would be a good excuse to really look at each book. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! I can't believe your shelves split! I have never read any of Lori Wick's work but she is on my wish list. What is your favorite of hers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. my bookshelf is all over the place and i have everything organized by color. that's it. and another bookshelf in the second bedroom is all books i read in high school or college and man what a trip that is. oh books. i love them.

    & the collapsed shelf is a huge fear of mine. but love what you've done with the shelves. hope no more fall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate to the books-in-boxes, it's where most of mine are living at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job putting it back in a useable form. I see some of my favorites on your bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe your bookshelf actually collapsed. YIKES. But I must say, you've gotten everything together to at least look really nice in the photo, even if it's not exactly the most user-friendly setup.

    Also, I'm intrigued by your presidential collection, and one day I'd love to hear how you happened to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I start following a new blog I like to comment and say hi and how I found you. It's always fun when people do that for me =]
    So hi! My name is Amanda too ^_^ and I found you via the bookshelf linkup. I love finding fellow unmarried bloggers out there! (That may sound weird, but for the longest time the only bloggers I could find were mom bloggers. Don't get me wrong, I love reading what they have to write, but it's so much fun reading the blog of someone my age ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun post! I love seeing others' bookshelves. I have 6 in my small apartment and they used to be organized before my move (sort of) but now they aren't at all. I used to have the top shelf of each shelf dedicated to unread books (yes, I have that many unread books, it's a problem!). Now the only organization is the fact that my France books and HP books are grouped together, but that's about it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have huge bookshelf in one of our bedrooms and have outgrown them all. Instead there's just stacks of books in front of each one. And in our actual bedroom, stacked up next to my bed are the book I haven't read yet. SO not the best way to store things, but it's hard to find room for everything.

    ReplyDelete

Use your words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...