Thursday, March 6, 2014

Inconvenient

Living without luxuries I've become accustomed to is inconvenient. I haven't had a car or a consistently functioning computer since Thanksgiving.

And it's probably the best thing that could have happened to me this year.

As I've been trying to be more mindful of the world around me - and how I feel about it - I've discovered that I can talk a good talk about simplicity and sustainability. Walking that out in the short term is relatively easy. LIVING it out over the long term? Inconvenient.

It's inconvenient that it takes me two bus rides and an hour to get pretty much anywhere. It's inconvenient that there are a lot of things I have to say no to because the bus doesn't go there. It's inconvenient not to be easily able to go to church or join a community group. It's inconvenient to have to carefully plan and time my grocery shopping because I have to take whatever I buy on the bus then walk half a mile home.

For the last couple of weeks I've been sort of wallowing in the inconveniences. I've been letting them prevent me from doing the things I want to do. (Exhibit A: I started this post 2 weeks ago)

I'm using the onset of spring as my launching point to say no to "inconvenient" and yes to embracing my new lifestyle.

What's new with you?

While I might have been frustrated recently, I do seriously love this city.

2 comments:

  1. You've got the right attitude! I lived in rural France for four years and I'm pretty sure that that majority of my American friends would have found how I had to live my life 'inconvenient' in a lot of ways. And now I'm back in the States and completely overwhelmed with the ease of everything, but I've learned how little I can get by with, and what's really important and I think it's been a worthwhile lesson :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely are onto the right way of thinking. Embrace it!

    ReplyDelete

Use your words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...