Thursday, June 12, 2014

Progress Report: #26-33

{words}

26. Sign up for a refresher French class - Incomplete
I haven't regularly spoken French since I moved back to the States in 2008. Le fran├žais me manque! This was a carryover from my first 101 in 1,001 and yet again...I didn't make time for it. Quel dommage!

27. Begin formally learning a third language - Incomplete
I've been intending to pick up a third language since I traveled to the Middle East in college and spoke only a few words of Arabic. I haven't had time to start one, but would definitely love to add one or two more in the future.

28. Read 75 new-to-me books - Incomplete
This goal was intended to "force" me to expand my horizons and not just re-read old favorites. When I came up with this list in 2011, I had just finished the bar exam and was relishing the thought of having time to read for pleasure again after three years of only reading law. Well...it took way longer to get back my reading mojo than I ever thought it would. In fact, three years post-grad and I'm still not back to where I used to be. I didn't even come close to 75. Nowhere near it. That said, I just picked up a brand new book two days ago and I love what I've read so far.



29. Read the entire Bible - Incomplete
My friend Melissa was so sweet and bought me a chronological Bible for my birthday to inspire me to finish this goal. I would up reading about 20-25% (that doesn't count random verses, but means entire books). Brittany inspired me to do a Bible in 90 days plan, but I haven't been able to focus on it with my work schedule the way it is right now. Hoping I can rearrange my routine soon.

30. Memorize Scripture - Done June 2014
While this wasn't as extensive as I had first intended it to be, I did in fact manage to do some memorizing over the past 1,000 days.

31. Read the complete works of Shakespeare - Incomplete
I've read a lot of Shakespeare in my lifetime. A lot. I think I read my first Shakespeare in elementary school (which is truly ridiculous, but what can I say - my grandfather loved it!). But I've never read it all, and it's been quite some time since I've gone back to it. I didn't read one single play during this challenge.

32. Read every book on my bookshelves - Incomplete
This goal had a dual purpose: finally read the books I had purchased but never read (oops) and re-read old favorites to see if I wanted to keep them. I did read many of my books, but nowhere near all. And I still have boxes of books in storage in California that I haven't had shipped to Nashville yet, and I've lived here 2.5 years. The shame.

33. Read a book of poems - Incomplete
I started reading the collected work of Emily Dickinson last year, but I never finished it. Which is sad, because I actually quite like poetry. 

There were goals, when I put them on my 101 in 1,001 list, that I was 99.9% sure I would never accomplish. But that didn't stop me from aiming for them. Then there were goals that I was 100% certain I would complete with ease. Most of the goals described in this post fell into that category. I am stunned by how little I read over the past few years, when I have arguably had the most time to read that I've had in my adult life. In fact, back when I re-started this blog I initially described it as somewhat of a book blog. And then most of the books I introduced, I never came back to. Many of them I have yet to finish. And then eventually...I stopped talking about books entirely.

Given what a huge part of my life reading has always been, I find it incredibly interesting that of all the sections to fail miserably at, I chose this one. Until I started typing up this review, I hadn't even realized just how much reading had slipped out of my daily life. It's too late to fix that for this challenge, but I'm certainly going to be much more intentional as to how I incorporate books into my life this summer.

What was the last, best book that you've read? 

2 comments:

  1. Barabbas. Its a translation, but its well done enough to not seem clunky or awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting back into the reading habit is hard when it's been a long time. You'll get your groove back, though.

    ReplyDelete

Use your words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...