Saturday, June 14, 2014

Progress Report: #34-46

{on the map}

34. Visit 3 states in the US I've never been to before - DONE 
January 3-4, 2012 :: Arizona, New Mexico, Arkansas, Tennessee
May 3, 2012 :: Kentucky
August 17, 2012 :: Georgia
I admitted that I had put goals on this list I didn't think I would finish. This was one of them. During grad school, I barely had time to travel and I wanted to try and make that a priority once I had "free" time. I thought maybe I would hit one new state. But six?! Never in my wildest dreams. Just goes to show that you never know when spontaneously moving across the country will help you accomplish more than one goal at a time!

35. Take a cruise - Incomplete
I'm a little iffy about being out on the open ocean. My fear of being eaten by a shark is pretty strong. Hence why I abandoned my childhood dream of being a marine biologist. I've been listening to Stephany rave about cruises for years now, and it's about darn time I tried one. Someday.

36. Get another stamp in my passport - Incomplete
I haven't left the United States since 2008, and that makes me so sad. For a hot second this spring I thought I might have an international trip on the horizon but it fell through. Alas. Wanderlust is a real struggle, friends.

37. Visit 3 national parks - Incomplete
I only managed to get to one park. Over Thanksgiving, my family and I went to Gettsyburg to see the memorial to my great-great grandfather's company. He was nineteen when he fought at Gettsyburg and there were really no words to describe being there. 




Memorial to my great-great grandfather's company who fought at the Battle of Gettsyburg
38. Go on a roadtrip - DONE
January 2-5, 2012 :: California to Tennessee, cross-country move
May 3, 2012 :: Tennessee to Pennsylvania, my sister's wedding
December 6, 2013 :: Nashville to St. Louis, girls' getaway with Betsy
I freaking love roadtrips. I have driven from coast to coast several times, and most of those have been solo trips. I'm never bored! One of the things I miss most about not having a car is the ability to just "hit the road."

39. Go camping - Incomplete
I was a Girl Scout. I love camping, but I haven't been since probably 2008 and then it was overnight at the beach, not proper camping in the woods.

40. Climb a mountain - Incomplete
Sorry Maria, I didn't climb any mountains. 

41. Take a trip by plane - DONE 04.26.12
A few months after moving to Nashville, I flew back to California for my best friend's wedding. It was glorious (and exactly seven days before my sister's wedding, which happened to be on the other side of the country. That was a whirlwind).

42. Meet a blog or Twitter friend - DONE
I actually wound up meeting ELEVEN of your lovely faces in person over the course of this challenge. [full list on the project page] Some of you have become incredibly close friends, who happen to live far away. Others were Nashvillians I met online before moving and who became some of my dearest, and first, friends in a new town. The most recent internet sensation to stroll through my life was Linda, who happened through town back in December. It was so fun to introduce her to some of my favorite things about this city!


43. Attend a conference in another state - DONE 01.18.13
Originally I probably intended this to mean a conference for grown-ups. Instead, I took a bunch of pre-teens to a conference in Atlanta. Nothing like spending a weekend responsible for a couple dozen ten and eleven-year-olds!

44. Go on vacation by myself - Incomplete
I haven't traveled solo in years, and I miss it. I also miss real vacations that are more than just a day or so. 

45. Buy something from the SkyMall - Incomplete
I failed to make any purchases this go around, but this goal did lead to a hilarious Twitter exchange with the SkyMall people. 

46. Visit 10 historical markers - Incomplete
This failure was pure laziness. I saw two - one at a plantation in Franklin, TN, and this one below. Which left me in a profound state of awe for most of the day. 



If I thought for sure I'd ace my reading goals, I was equally sure I wouldn't accomplish any of my wandering goals. But five completed and several more partially complete is wonderful! 

Where's the next place on your wander-list?

7 comments:

  1. I am glad you were able to cross off some of these travel list items! You've have some fun adventures! I hope you are able to do a solo trip soon - I love solo travel!!

    I don't have much travel planned in the months to come because I got a little burned out on traveling so much when I lived in Charlotte. Now I just want to be home every weekend pretty much. But I do hope to do some exploring in my home state so hopefully I'll hit up a couple of state parks this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never taken a solo trip, but a friend just got back and highly recommends it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The road trip is an awesome one! One of these days I'm going to take a trip across the US. There is a lot of unexplored land out there that I can't wait to lay my eyes on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come to Utah! There is so much hiking to be done and you can easily cross climbing a mountain off your list :)
    I've only ever road tripped on the west coast. Someday I'll make it to the east coast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so iffy about cruises too, especially after reading about those cruise disasters at sea last year. Maybe for your goal you could try a harbor cruise or sightseeing cruise instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't been out of the country since 2008 either, and it's been even longer since I've gone camping. Both of those goals are on my list too, but while I'd really love to make them happen, I'm not quite sure if I'm going to be able to pull them off.

    ReplyDelete

Use your words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...