Monday, July 7, 2014

a walk in the woods

Given my confession that the category I failed most spectacularly on my last 101 in 1,001 was the reading category, I'm thrilled that the first goal I've made progress on in my Unfinished Business challenge is book-related!
My secondary habitat - mossy Pacific Northwest!

A couple of weeks ago I was up in Pittsburgh for work and then took some vacation time to hang out with family. In addition to time in Pittsburgh, we trekked out to central PA to see our mom, grandma, and extended family.

That's a tree! College-Amanda
 had been in the flat midwest too long.
While browsing antique stores one day, I snagged A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson because I thought it'd be a good book for the plane.
9791 

I'd never read anything by Bryson, but I had definitely heard great things and A Walk in the Woods didn't disappoint. I loved his sarcastic tone, especially since he balanced his wit with keen observations about both the Appalachian Trail and human nature. 

Oregon, you're gorgeous!

It felt very appropriate that the first book I read during this challenge was one about accomplishing an audacious goal!


I've never been hiking in the east. I grew up with the Sierras and the Cascades, but I've had it on my life list to hike at least a tiny portion of the AT.
This book made me itch to get into the mountains, and did inspire me to see parts of the trail. Definitely not going to try and do a long stretch, but I have a new respect for people who do.


One of the many places I call "home"
Highly recommended!

Progress Report
10. Read 50 new-to-me books :: 1/50

What are you currently reading? Are you into The Great Outdoors?

1 comment:

  1. sounds like the perfect book for me!! Jay and I are talking about camping on the Smokies portion of the AT. Everything I've read says its a 5-6 day hike. eek!

    ReplyDelete

Use your words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...